Wednesday, July 17, 2019

A Trajectory

I have done a few cycle tours and the most recent was cycling the ring road around Iceland in 2016.  These experiences have been a life metaphor for me.  Every mile, every hill is conquered by one pedal stroke at a time, and the day is filled with the exploration of the moment with very little thought or concern for the destination.  The route is generally well planned, and the daily mileages carefully calculated, but in the end, the joy has been the journey.  You feel every inch, every breath of air, every smell.  Every bite of food is well earned, and every night is a pleasant respite from the days' work. It's rewarding, and after a week or two of being on the road, you happily retrace your route on the map amazed at how far you've gone.  What a tangible way of viewing life.  Days may seem to all string together into one long trudging effort, but the key is to see the trajectory.  Look how far you've come!  A year ago I arrived back in Canada with a broken down van, a few boxes, and a very hostile relationship.  Alone, no job, and no ideas, my spirits were pretty low.  Tackling one obstacle at a time, I renewed my commercial license, got a job, and started to whittle away at debt.  I weaned myself gradually off antidepressants.   Hours behind the wheel gave me hours of time to listen, think, and process.  Many days were discouraging, but slowly I have begun to grow in courage, hope, and confidence.  I still have far to go; I still have days of sadness and despair - but the fact that I am writing about it is significant.  I have come so far.  An upward trajectory - if I can continue to make the next year just a little better and healthier than the last, I will be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment