Saturday, March 12, 2011

All Shall be Well

I've been thinking about amplifying my spoons up a notch - going a little bigger.  Something that can stick out of the pot a foot or so and scoop a pint sized ladle of chili in one go.  So yesterday I grabbed my hewing axe and some birch, and went to work.

It was not to be.



Both lost their handles early on in the shaping process.  I was using a new draw knife, which was working so well... maybe too well.  Or the wood was just too weak.  Or I shaved the handles too thin.  Or I just plain messed up.

Lucky for me a kind old wood spirit came along.  He told me everything would be OK.


Some days we all need to hear that.  

All shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Julian of Norwich.


Spalted birch spoons, willow wood spirit carving, linseed oil/paraffin wax finish, polished with a stiff bristle brush

No comments:

Post a Comment